Thursday, September 25, 2008

Settling In

There is nothing like a healthy storm to help you get to know the sounds of a new house. A nor’easter has been hovering over the area since last night. I kept hearing the winds while I was sleeping and in my half-awake state, I kept thinking it was Wes. :( I am not sure that this is the best weather for me to adjust to his absence. The pounding rain on the tin chimney cap just reminds me that I am alone. Then Max gives me puppydog eyes and Willow head butts me and for a moment its not too bad.

Wes left on Tuesday night for the horn of Africa to chase pirates. It’s amazing how quickly a person shifts into the grown up responsible role. Now I am the one checking that the doors are locked and if the dog is fed. It is good to be reminded of these roles sometimes so that I don’t become too dependent or unappreciative of my partner in life. That said, I think a week would be enough for these lessons.

To keep my mind off of things, I have a to do list and it is pretty long. I have only managed to cross two whole items off of my list in two days. The front hall has now been painted. I still don’t have a completely tiled kitchen floor though. We are now a week and a half behind schedule. I was going to have an adventure with a rototiller and till the front flower beds so that I could start planting some bulbs and flowers. I held off because of the impending storm and now I am glad that I didn’t start. All of the puddles gathering in the future flowers beds have convinced me that I need to have a raised bed so that there will be better drainage.

I find that I am very disconnected from the world right now in my “little Susie home maker” role as Dan calls it. I am used to having places to be and people to see, but now I don’t have anything to do. I am adrift in a honey-do list and microwave dinners.

There is a commercial on for the new Nano in all the colors. I want one but I couldn’t pick a color. I would have to have one of each so that I could pick one for the mood of the day! Today would be a bright yellow or crispy orange day to help counteract the gloom of the day and the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment