New Year's Resolutions are about changing yourself as a person. A person doesn't want to lose weight. A person wants to change his/her diet and lifestyle so that he never has to think about his weight again. Few people actually enjoy the act of making money because it is usually associated with work. Instead they want money to not be an issue in their life. Even these common resolutions are a little too involved with the material world for me, so here are my resolutions.
Be kind to myself...
See my previous post entitled kindness for this one.
Be kind to others...
This has been a yearly resolution for several years now. I try to curb the unkind things I might be tempted to say about others. I think that I have definitely made progress here. I am less of a gossip than I used to be. Now, I need to work on changing the way I think so that unkind thought don't even cross my mind. Its like swearing. It takes practice not to do it.
Look for the positive in life...
Have you ever had one of those days where is seems like every light turns red just when its your turn and every parking space is gone and the world just seems to be your enemy. Afterwards you tell everyone what a bad day you had. Then it happens on a smaller scale, with just one instance of bad luck, such as a blinking help light in the grocery line you are waiting in. You curse a bit and tap your foot and drum your fingers while you wait.
How about the opposite, when you have a really good day and everything goes your way with green lights and the bus load of teenagers arrives in line just after you did? You probably tell someone about this day too. And one instance of good luck, like a new supermarket line opening up??? You probably breeze on through like it was an everyday occurance. I know I do. A part of me thinks that this is the way my life should be...no waiting, parking where I want to, my sweater in my size on top of the sales bin. Why do I think this? Well because I am the center of my life and even though life is not about me, my life is about me. How can it be otherwise? Therefore, everything should happen exactly as I envision it. That is why when the little bits of good luck appear, I don't really notice them because I think that it should be that way. However, the little bits of bad luck are going against the flow of my little world, therefore I notice them. So my New Year's resolution is to pay equal attention to bits of good and bad luck, like today when I got a perfectly timed green left arrow balanced against the weird access roads out on Laskin rd that added about 10 minutes to my tardiness.
Disgarded resolutions:
Be Happy: Happiness is not soemthing you can just resolve to have. It's a different journey and does not have a road map.
Be Healthy/Exercise: This is too big for a yearly resolution. It has to be weekly, monthly, daily and after every batch of cookies.
Happy New Year and good luck on your resolutions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment