Thursday, November 10, 2016

Standing up

One of the greatest regrets of my childhood is that I did not stand up to bullies. I did not stand up for my special needs brother. I did not stand up for the kids being tormented over their father’s suicide. I did not stand up for myself. I regret that, but I can only change my future, not the past. However, that regret causes me to reject all this talk about healing for the good of the nation and getting along with the deplorables. They are out there now, on every social media platform bullying. If this were a sports game, they would be called out for their despicable behavior and unsportsmanlike conduct, but they were bullies to start and that will not change just because they won. There are already instances of women in head scarves being attacked, women on public transport being grabbed by the pussy, marches of the KKK and Trump hasn’t even taken office. I will not play nice and pretend that everything is all right, because it isn’t. My America isn’t dead. By popular vote, it isn’t even defeated. I will call out the bullying where ever I see it. I will do my best to stand by any minority.
                Yesterday in my son’s gymnastic class, his teacher, a wonderful woman who happens to be a person of color, was almost breaking down and had to continually paste a smile on her face so the little children wouldn’t understand how scary the world has suddenly become. I wanted to help her, to reach out, but I felt helpless. The best I could do was to send my son in to give her an extra hug. That was it. That small thing was all I felt capable of doing. So to my minority friends and even minorities I don’t know yet, please let us know what we can do to help. The small things. The everyday things. You have to understand that so many of us are stuck in this limbo of wanting to help, but not wanting to be patronizing. Not knowing what we can do to help you as the individual. I wish there was a symbol I could wear to show you that I am on your side. If you need someone to walk with you through a threatening situation. If you need someone to smile at you because we are all humans. If you just need a hug. If you need someone to tell someone else to just shut the fuck up. If you need a sidekick for a little paint ball practice on people wearing long white sheets. I am that person.
                I’ve had several people tell me to just chill. Our government is built as a system of checks and balances, so Trump can only do so much damage. But they are wrong. With both the house and senate in republican control and the current republican’s refusal to even consider a judge for the Supreme court until a new administration can appoint someone of their choosing, there is no balance. There is no check. The damage this administration will do to our country, socially and economically will reach far into our future. People will suffer and die because of this administration. Don’t believe me? The attacks have already begun. And when Trump trashes Obamacare, there will be many people with pre-existing conditions who will die because they can’t get medical treatment. It’s only the tip of the iceberg.
For a brief time this year, I entertained a hope that rape culture that exists in this society would get the proper attention it deserves. I hoped that when my precious daughter goes to college, the statistic where 1 in 5 girls are sexually assaulted in college would have dropped, even a little. Maybe instead of a 20% chance she will be raped, it would only be 10%. (Isn’t it ironic that a mother hopes for a 10% chance her daughter will be raped.) But this will not happen now. Things will get worse before they get better, if they ever get better. How will a man who regards his own daughter as a piece of ass ever protect mine?
I am not going to talk about the damages he will do to the minority members of our community (others will say it better than I), but they will be as far reaching into the future as well. Even if he is unable to pass the laws he would like, his attitude will give license to all those deplorables to act without fear of consequence.
I will do my best to fight this on every level, but in an attempt to take a step back and put this all in perspective, to view these horrible things as ephemeral, temporary and passing, I came to an eye opening realization. They ARE only temporary. We as a society can change it all back. We can fight it. We can reverse the laws. It will take time. And people will suffer abuse. Some will have their lives irrevocably changed. Some people will die. And my heart bleeds for them. For us. For my children. But this deplorable social intolerance will pass. We will change it back. We will crush it.
But… and here is the real revelation…we will not be able to fix the damage the Trump administration will do to our natural places and to our planet. Once a park is plowed under to make a golf course, you can’t ever bring it back. Once all the bees are dead and our agricultural industry is crippled, you can’t bring them back. Once the sea levels have risen and flooded our coastal cities, (including Norfolk, the home of our Navy and our defense against all those scary foreign powers) you can’t unflood them. Once the climate is out of control and forests that have evolved to a particular climate die out, you can’t bring them back. Once an area’s water supply has been poisoned by fracking or oil spills, you can’t wash it clean again.
And if you think Trump will have one scruple against destroying something that is precious to others, you haven’t done your research. Here is just one example of many about how Trump treats the things anyone else values. He already plans to dismantle the EPA (the P is for Protection in case the acronym EPA has become a dirty word in your mind) and appoint climate change deniers into key cabinet positions. Every plan he has points to removing roadblocks of big oil/coal industry and those roadblocks (Clean Air act, Clean Water Act) protect the environment for the rest of us. And I can guarantee you that those big industries leaders won’t be sticking around in the places they’ve polluted. And long after Trump is dead and buried and even after his horrible social agenda has been shoved back into the last century where it belongs, our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren will be dealing with repercussions of his environmental policy. Or they won’t because they may not survive the pollutions and poisons.
So my take home message is this. Fight Trump on every social injustice you can. Support your friends and neighbors. But if you only have energy left to fight one things, fight for our planet so there is something left after we are all gone to ashes and dust.


Please share if this has been of any value to you in these troubling times.