Monday, February 9, 2009

Seriously?

I went to make some photo copies at Office max. When I went to pay for them, they asked for a receipt. They sent me back to the copier to print one out. An entire sheet of paper to tell them that I made 9 photo copies. Seriously? How wasteful can we be? I know one piece of paper is not that much, but every person that goes into Office Max to make copies all over the country wastes one piece of paper because they are too lazy to walk over to see how many copies you made or because people are dishonest. If I have a choice in the future, I am going to a different office store, although I usually do better and support a local print store on Wards Corner.

Last week I had a job interview at a private school for a particular religion. I won't say which in case you belong to that religion. The job was to teach 7/8 grade science. The school separates the boys and girls into two separate classes and they combine the 7/8 grade classes so that they will have enough students for the class (about 10 students). Interesting. Then about half way through the interview, the superintendant told me that there was a dress code that women wear skirts. I, of course, was wearing pants. They secretary apologized later for not calling me to tell me. Anyway, I didn't get the job. They thought the kids would take advantage of my inexperience. Obviously I did not emphasize the fact that I had two brothers and knew how to keep from being run over. Oh well, it saved me the decision of whether to take the job since it was a long way to drive and not very well paid.

This week I went to a career switcher program to see what would be involved in becoming a high school/grade school teacher. I know. Before you get excited let me explain a few things. Many people have told me that I should get a job teaching in HS, but they assume that, because I have taught college, teaching in K-12 should be a snap. The sad truth is that you do not need any training to teach college (You all have had that professor that shouldn’t be teaching). To teach in k-12, a person has extensive class work and classroom training. So I am not qualified, despite all of my education, to teach kids. As many of you already know, I don’t necessarily want to teach since I did not enjoy the experience before, but I have to do something so I was investigating the possibility. Also, where ever Wes and I go I should be able to find a job. So I went to a glorified sales pitch of the program at ODU where they train people that have already been in the work force to teach. One of the first things they put up was a list of reasons why people quit teaching in their first year. Hmmm…I know that list…it’s almost exactly why I decided I didn’t want to teach college. Apparently it’s not any better at the K-12 level. I almost left then, but I made myself stay to be sure. They next hour was about how much money and time you would have to put forward into this program. Then I left. I reasoned that if I was going to invest money in myself, it would be to get educated about Environmental regulation instead. That doesn’t necessarily rule out teaching, but I would have to be hired first and then complete the training while I work.

In the mean time I have been working up designs for a garden in the yard for yummy veggies. I even went and junk picked some 2x4s down the street, although I think that they will go into the construction of a compost bin instead. The weather here has been gorgeous so I am thinking about outdoor projects. I have not been neglecting indoor projects either though. I have also been working on a color pencil picture that is based on a photo that I took of Olbrich gardens. It is challenging and engrossing at the same time. Also, here is a picture of the design that I painted on the soffit in the kitchen. I still need to design something for the center.


As I have mentioned, Wes is off fighting pirates. There have been a few news clips on NBC and ABC lately, so keep your ear open. He is on the Mahon, so if they mention a ship name, you’ll know which one it is. If you want, I can ask him to bring you home your very own pirate, but I have to warn you that they are not like Johnny Depp….at all…

4 comments:

  1. Well.... maybe not pirates, but some pieces of eight would be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those Pirates are Somali's and Somali's look nothing like Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design on the soffit looks awesome.....maybe you should make that your profession instead.....I would hire you to pretty up my walls.......if I owned a house.

    Amy Poole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like a Johnny Depp-like pirate....he seemed fun. And imagine how hott he'd be when you bathe him.

    :o)

    PS: Diggin' the soffitts...they're purdy.

    ReplyDelete