
Sabrina is now over a month old. The past month has gone by in a blur. It has been incredibly hard, but not in the ways that we expected. I don’t mind the dirty diapers or the late night feedings. Those parts of the job are easy because they are straight forward. The hard part is when she is crying and we don’t know why. You just want to love this little creature into happiness, but no amount of cuddling or soothing helps. It just breaks your heart that you can’t make her happy. But no matter how awful those moments are, they are eclipsed by all the other moments. Weather she is sleeping or awake she is the most precious thing in the world. I know a million parents have said that before me, but it is one of those experiences in life that everyone should feel, like falling in love. Sabrina has a very expressive face and I haven’t been around enough newborns to know if this is usual or not, but she makes me laugh all the time with her expressions. I hope she never loses that. I guess I will eventually have to stop laughing at her or she will develop a complex.
Another revelation of the month is how tough some women are. It has been hard and I have had an amazing support team. For the first weeks, I was waited on while I recovered from the C-section. Now that I am better, my mother-in-law is taking care of the house and helping with Sabrina so that I can get a shower or lunch. Wes helps whenever he is home and is never afraid of a dirty diaper. They are amazing. When I think of mothers who are home alone all day with a baby or with an unsupportive spouse, I cringe and think of how lucky I am. As for single mothers without support, I think I would cry if I had to face that. Throw in other children or work and it seems impossible. I know there is a saying that women are as strong as they have to be and they must be or the human race would not exist. Perhaps being so tired from being up all night helps because you can’t see the big picture of what you are doing. All you can focus on is the immediate task before you. The only reason I have enough mental faculty to write this post this morning is because Beverly stayed up with the baby for the first part of the night and then Sabrina slept in 3 hr chunks for the rest of the night. I was thinking about it and I think the last time I got 8hrs of uninterrupted sleep was in May. May to November it was bathroom breaks and now it is baby breaks.
Right now Sabrina is sleeping in a little ball on my chest leaving two free typing hands, but this doesn’t happen often. So, until next time, I will leave you with a link to this video of her so you can see how precious she is. :) Sabrina Video.
Another revelation of the month is how tough some women are. It has been hard and I have had an amazing support team. For the first weeks, I was waited on while I recovered from the C-section. Now that I am better, my mother-in-law is taking care of the house and helping with Sabrina so that I can get a shower or lunch. Wes helps whenever he is home and is never afraid of a dirty diaper. They are amazing. When I think of mothers who are home alone all day with a baby or with an unsupportive spouse, I cringe and think of how lucky I am. As for single mothers without support, I think I would cry if I had to face that. Throw in other children or work and it seems impossible. I know there is a saying that women are as strong as they have to be and they must be or the human race would not exist. Perhaps being so tired from being up all night helps because you can’t see the big picture of what you are doing. All you can focus on is the immediate task before you. The only reason I have enough mental faculty to write this post this morning is because Beverly stayed up with the baby for the first part of the night and then Sabrina slept in 3 hr chunks for the rest of the night. I was thinking about it and I think the last time I got 8hrs of uninterrupted sleep was in May. May to November it was bathroom breaks and now it is baby breaks.
Right now Sabrina is sleeping in a little ball on my chest leaving two free typing hands, but this doesn’t happen often. So, until next time, I will leave you with a link to this video of her so you can see how precious she is. :) Sabrina Video.

This is a sweet post, Alisha. Mothering is truly the hardest yet most rewarding "job" in the world. I also agree, all people should experience it if they can.
ReplyDeleteLaura