Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Life Update


I know it has been forever since I posted. The reality of how long came home when I saw the last post was just after Sabrina was born and yesterday I took her in for her 18 mon checkup. I know people forgive the lack of posts since I had a baby and that is a big time commitment. The reality is that I only get to seriously work on the computer when Sabrina is asleep. Otherwise she is insatiably curious about everything. Anything electronic is like baby crack. I can’t read on my nook. I can’t text on my phone. I can’t listen to my ipod. I can’t type on my computer because toddler tantrums erupt the moment she sees any of those devices. I know I could just give them to her, but I reserve them or the moment when I really need her to be occupied like when I am talking to a doctor or just want to have a quiet pee. We have to hide the TV remotes and she is always bringing me bit of Daddy’s electronics because he is not as careful as I am. One day I am just going to let her slobber them to death as a warning to him. Anyway, this post isn’t really about Sabrina and her electronics obsession. I just wanted to let you all know what I am up to.
            We have since moved to Alexandria, VA near D.C. Sometimes we get out and see the touristy stuff, but not as often as we should. I mostly stick close to home because I just can’t handle the screaming version of Sabrina and she comes out when we miss the regularly scheduled naptime. When she naps however, I say no to house work or any of those other chores and I write or more precisely, I edit. I have been writing for a couple years now, mostly during Nanowrimo, but now I want my writing to grow up. I want other people to read my books, but I also want them to want to read my books – hence the editing. Editing is a long slow and tortuous process, which is so torturous I have been avoiding it by blogging about it instead. If you would like to share in the torture, start here and read your way forward.
            Other than writing/editing I have a couple of art projects in the works. My icedragon being the main one. However, all art has slowed to glacial speed, which makes me sad, but there is only so much time in the day and I have to pick and choose what to do. Picking up all the death traps Sabrina has scattered about each day takes precedence since I don’t want to die in the night by tripping over Dancing Elmo. I also maintain a flower bed with regular slug hunts. Sabrina has caught on to the idea of slug hunting and helps by trying to eat them. Yeah. I know. Eww.  I have dreams of turning the little ragged weed infested garden patch in the back into a cool bean tent / sandbox combination, but at the rate I accomplish things, that will probably  happen right before we have to move again.           
            That’s my life. Toddler. Keeping House. Writing/Editing. Gardening. Art. I can’t promise I will update any time soon. I only promise that in the next 5 min I will go get that cute little girl who is saying “uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh” in her crib to let me know that naptime is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment