Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The good, the bad and the happy medium

So it has been an interesting few days.

The Good: On friday, I interviewed at the Sylvan learning center and it seemed promising. They thought they would like to have me teach some SAT prep classes and maybe some college prep summer camps. Saturday, I got a cute new phone. YAY! Saturday night the April Fools art show opened and we went. I was a bit flustered to see that they had put the wrong name on one of my pieces, but they fixed it right away. After the show, Wes and I went to Portobellas, a restaurant with fantastic italian food but cheap diner decor. While there, the gallery manager called to find out how much money I wanted for my two pieces because someone might be interested in buying them. So I ended the week with a promising outlook on a job and two possible drawing sold. I would find out the outcomes on Monday.

The Bad: Monday started out with a burning sensation in my eye when I put my contact in. I rinsed and repeated and by the time I got to work the stinging had gone away. 2 hours later, my vision in that eye started to get cloudy. Work was icky because everyone was chatty and talking about their children in jail. Also they kept turning up the belt and expecting us to magically work faster than our little fingers could place plants. By the time I got home my eyes were stinging and hurt very badly and that eye was pretty cloudy. Apparently I got something in my eye that wasn’t good for me. During this ordeal, I was also very clumsy. Maybe it was because I couldn’t see or maybe I am just clumsy. Either way, I dropped a knife nearly on my foot, and collected many bruises. Niether the gallery, nor Sylvan called. I also lost my checkbook. I spent the afternoon crying because my eyes hurt so bad and I couldn’t do anything to pass the time because I couldn’t see what I was doing. (Sarah, this included mailing your birthday present , so sorry if its late.) It was a pretty rough day.

The Happy Medium: Today, my eyes are better, work was pretty smooth and quiet, I didn’t collect anymore bruises or chop off any toes. I called Sylvan and they offered me the job. I don’t know why they didn’t call me in the first place. I called the gallery because that was the last place I remembered having my checkbook, but they didn’t have it. They did tell me that the person interested my art was no longer interested. Oh well. At least I got a nibble. Then I found my checkbook. It helps to clean up your desk.

So it is always amazing to me to think how one day you can be on the top of the world and another crying on the couch.

So I now have two jobs: working on a farm and preparing the children of the future for college. Such diversification.

No comments:

Post a Comment