So I am in week two of my nursery farm job and have survived thus far. No blisters, not too many aches. I like the work for the most part and would be happy enough for a while if they paid more. I spent most of the time working on an "assembly line" putting baby plants in their little homes. We get to take home the extras when all the flats are full, so I have planted all the pots in my house now. I don’t really know what I planted either because they were so mixed up by the time I picked them out. It will be a fun mystery in a couple weeks.
Today we spent the day loading and unloading plants from a trailer as they were moved from the greenhouse to outside. Tomorrow I get to do more of the same. I like the people that I work with for the most part. There is one other woman there that many people don’t like. I think she’s a bit obnoxious, but apparently she has gotten on everyone else’s nerves. It is creating some interesting undercurrents. I am trying to stay out of it, but it’s hard to be neutral when I don’t care for her myself and everyone else is circling like buzzards.
Willow likes my new job because she likes to terrorize my new baby plants. I made a kitty trap for her on one of the pots with tape, sticky side out. Ever since the plants have been unmolested, but there are bits of fur stuck to the tape. Round 1 goes to me! I think that Max secretly likes my new job too because he gets to sleep in.
I learned last week that this job will not last that long. Everything will be done by July, so I will have to find a new job before then. I am a bit peeved that I have to think about that again so soon.
I finished a new picture called "Through the seeing stone."and I am going to put it in an April fools show in a local gallery. This is after the seeing stone from the Spiderwick chronicles. I was sad that I missed the movie, so I hope it comes out on DVD soon. Anyway, see if you can spot the tricks in the picture. I also entered this picture in a National Competition for the Color pencil Society of America, but I don’t think it will make it into the show. It didn’t turn out as well as I wanted, but it was the only one I had to enter. Next year I will do better.I think that sometime before Monday I will be ready to resubmit one of my manuscripts to the Microbial Ecology journal. YAY! Then I have to get crackin’ on the last paper and it will be the hardest and probably the most important. I think that is why I have been avoiding it.

No comments:
Post a Comment