Monday, July 21, 2008

Country girl in a Big City

So I spent the last weekend in NY city. It was my first visit and the hotel we were staying in was in Times Square. Now, after pinging around the country like a pinball, I consider myself pretty well traveled, but NY made me feel small. I was also pretty stressed out most of the time. The atmosphere in NY of hurry up and "step on anyone in your way" is pretty infectious and I think theonly time I really relaxed was when we were in our hotel room. There were many things that I wanted to see in NY, but our time was limited, so we settled on just doing one or two things on Saturday. I wanted to see the Zoo and Botanical gardens, but then decided that since it was in the mid 90s, that we should be indoors instead. We went to the metropolitan museum of art. It was amazing and we only saw a small small part of it. I would almost like to live in NY for awhile so I could see more of it. It was also pretty surreal seeing things that I see all the time on TV in real life. There were so many other things I wanted to see too, that we will definitely have to go back.
I started reading a book about the Vanderbilt women because of some of the history here in Newport. Most of the beginning of the book is set in NY, so it was interesting to be reading about streets in NY and knowing that I could just walk over there. After I finish the book, I will have to visit some more of the historical sites here in Newport.

I also saw the place in Riverside Park in NY where they filmed the final scene of "you've got mail." Cool!!

Things are progressing on our house deal, but things are still in the works so i am not going to say much about it yet. I am trying not to think about it too much until I know for sure that we have it, but I keep getting ideas for what I want to do to it.

This will be my last week with my Sylvan LC Biology student. Part of me is happy to be done, but I really hope that I made a difference for this kid. Somehow I doubt I made much of a difference though :(

I also got another FOAD letter today. I had already decided that against the job in VT, but it would have been nice to get a nod of approval instead of a impersonal FOAD. Its hard to keep up a go get 'em attitude after those. I am tired of looking for jobs too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment